I absolutely love shooting surprise proposals! The holidays through Valentine’s is proposal season if there was one. I also outline proposals vs. engagement sessions below.
Ryan and Mallory headed out for a weekend “staycation” at the Mansion at Turtle Creek. By the way- management was awesome to work with planning this! Chat with them about the right time to have dinner and possibly have the entire patio to yourself like Ryan did. After he proposed we had a quick photo session.
A few things about Surprise proposals :
- Things go wrong- every time. (Especially for proposals). Be ready for back ups and be in communication with your photographer, location, staff, etc.
- Emotions can be high- if this is a surprise, which many are- it can be very emotional. This does make a difference in images and I keep sessions pretty short.
- For surprise engagements, as a photographer, I’m kind of “on call/ on location” pretty early and waiting for the right time.
- Also, I offer a discount on an engagement session at a later date.
- Engagement sessions are planned out. This provides time to relax + get candid photos. Outfits curated, almost a date night with the two of you and the goal of the session is to capture your style.
- I love the documentary style of surprise proposals!